Birthdays. They just keep on coming around.
I celebrated my birthday last weekend and have pretty mixed feelings about it. It wasn’t a milestone birthday, and I am certainly not old by any means, but I have probably gone up a bracket on most surveys and questionnaires.
Having spent the last week reflecting on my new age I thought I would celebrate by presenting some pearls of wisdom amassed over thirty, ahem, something years.
- My parents still have all the answers.
- I am a better cook than I think.
- It is always worth paying extra for quality make-up; cheap brands look cheap.
- There is nothing more wonderful than getting lost in a good book.
- After 31 years of hating winter, I moved to Sweden and loved it…
- …but I will never be able to skate or ski.
- Saving money is much easier when you learn the difference between want and need.
- Following a diet is always difficult.
- I still don’t know what I want to do when I grow up.
- I have very few regrets, but the ones I do all involve people no longer in my life.
- My school days, although fun, were definitely not the best days of my life. Don’t let the fun stop at 16!
- Greek cuisine is the food of the gods.
- The right size bra is the key to looking good.
- There will never be another TV show as good as FRIENDS.
- Buying a handbag or pair of shoes that costs more than your rent is insane.
- Sunshine makes everything better.
- Fear of flying increases with age.
- Having a weekly massage should be compulsory.
- There is absolutely nothing wrong with preferring chocolate milk to alcohol.
- It is impossible to function on less than 8 hours’ sleep once you pass your twenties.
- Speaking of which, nothing good ever happens after 1am once you reach your 30s.
- Travelling is my drug – nothing beats the high of getting away somewhere new.
- Life is too short to give up chocolate. Or cake.
- Getting into debt is a valuable learning experience, but shouldn’t happen more than once.
- There is still time to learn something new, no matter how old you are.
- Texting is making teenagers illiterate.
- Unless something breaking is happening, news reports should not be televised every hour on every channel.
- Receiving a hand-written letter is way better than receiving an email.
- Going on a boat is always exciting.
- Paradise is walking barefoot on warm sand.
- Everything tastes better with cheese.
- No matter how many times I see the Northern Lights I’ll still want to see them again.
- Most of the viral shares on FB are hoaxes and people who share them without checking make themselves look stupid.
- Water is the best health and beauty product there is.
- Tanned skin looks great, but skin cancer is not. Always use sunscreen—your thirty-something-year-old skin will thank you!
Despite the fear I felt on my birthday, I have now calmed back down enough to remember that age really is simply a number and that you are only as old as you feel. I am much happier and more confident in my thirties than I ever could have imagined in my twenties.
What would you add to my list? Feel free to leave a comment below!